Let's play a game of association. I say a word, and you say what immediately come to mind. Ready....
Super Bowl parties. Ball games. Mexican food. Comfort food. Satisfying.
All of those are pretty positive associations. I mean, who doesn't love a good queso dip? And if you can have this delicious comfort food while still getting a boost of healthy fats, protein, and B vitamins, then I'd say that's a win on all levels.
I have experimented with various cashew cheeses, but this recipe has been my favorite so far. I just love the addition of the spicy hatch chilies!
hatch chili queso
Time: 2-4 hours to soak cashews + 5 minutes to make sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 10 oz. can of diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 4-oz. cans of hatch green chilies
- Water as needed
- Salt to taste
- Soak the cashews in water for 2-4 hours to soften them.
- Drain the water and put cashews in a blender with lemon juice, turmeric, yeast, salt, garlic powder, and just the liquid from the cans of tomatoes and chilies.
- Blend until you have a creamy sauce. You may need to add water to create the perfect consistency. You can also add olive oil to create a creamier sauce.
- Transfer the mixture into a small bowl and stir in the hatch chilies and tomatoes.
Serve warm with chips, veggies, or on my Chili Cheese Sweet Potato Fries!